Pages

Chevron Background

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Praying for Your Family - 20. Dinner/Supper

I recommend you read the first post about praying before meals here.

Dinner/Supper is the final meal of the day (unless you happen to be a late night snacker - which is not good for weight loss, but almost constant for me, especially when pregnant).  Some people call it supper - either way, it's the evening meal.  This scientific research article explains how it helps improve the mental and emotional health of everyone in your household to eat together around the table for dinner.  It's also a great time to play the "High-Low" game with your husband/kids as well, to get to know each other and the day's events a little better.  Each person shares what was the "high" point (favorite/most happy part) of their day and the "low" point (least happy, bad part) of their day.  We tried this several times while working as house parents, and it effectively involved every person talking and sharing.

I don't have a  ton of great dinner ideas for you, because I struggle at dinner. I really only feel like I have enough energy, brain-power and time in the day to effectively feed my family 2 meals unless one is all snack based - so because I like breakfast, it's usually lunch or dinner that gets the short end of my Paula Dean stick. I love pre-seasoned salmon from Costco, with baked asparagus, mashed sweet potatoes, and quinoa/rice with spinach. That would be my favorite go-to dinner meal, besides spaghetti.

Because of the name pairing for this one - Dinner/Supper - I think it's a great time to pray that our family would be Diligent Stewards.  Here's a little breakdown/refresher of these two words, because they aren't used a ton in everyday vernacular:

Diligent - Characterized by steady, attentive, careful, earnest, energetic effort at one's duties or work.

Steward - Someone who protects, manages and is responsible for the land, property, or money of another.

Diligent stewards means that we will be asking God to help our families responsibly take care of all that He has so graciously given us, from our bodies, to our finances, to our friends, and material things.  We are stewards of everything we have, because essentially, it all belongs to God anyway, we just get to take care of it.





Dinner/Supper - Diligent Stewards

Father God,

Thank you for the day you have allowed us to have.  Thank you for the food you have again provided for us.  Help us to be diligent stewards of all that you have given us. Help us to be responsible with our time, money, and our bodies.  Give my husband and I wisdom to know how to best give you our family's finances and how to constantly acknowledge that our children are gifts from you, and not truly ours. Help my children to see and understand that you are the giver of every good thing we have, and it is our blessing to be able to take care of all things well.  In Jesus Name I pray,

Amen. 

This is post twenty in a series on Praying for Your Family: a 31 Day Challenge.  You can go to the main 'landing page' and scroll to the bottom, for a list of all the days by clicking here:
Landing Page



No comments:

Post a Comment