Pages

Chevron Background

Friday, June 28, 2013

12 Things I Learned in June

I haven't done a "Link Up" before, but I've been reading over at Chatting at the Sky for a few months now, and I really enjoy her perspective.  So I'm joining in the community of bloggers!  Here's a few things I learned in June:

1. After visiting the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville Alabama (where I lived from 10th grade- age 24, and had somehow not visited before),
I learned that many of the schools in this town are named after astronauts and other contributors to space exploration.  That makes so much sense, but I really had no idea.  For example, Mr. Ed White, Mr. Grissom, and Mr. Chaffee were the three men who were the astronauts in the test simulation who died on earth during a practice run when their pod caught on fire and they were unable to escape before smoke inhalation killed all three.  Sad, but true.



2. Amy Grant and Natalie Grant (Christian female singers), are unfortunately not related at all. But how cool would that have been?! For some reason I used to think they were mother/daughter, although they don't really look alike... for me it was a major disappointment.


3. Even old men like receiving cards with their picture on them.  Walgreens has several super cheap deals on cards and other photo items that you can give as gifts. For mother's day our moms loved our homemade cards, and I got my mom 4 recycled shopping bags with big pictures on them, and John got his mom and I big blankets with a picture collage of Jonah's first year.  I knew we ladies loved the pictures and personalized cards, but on Father's Day, even our dads loved them! Now I'm not saying the pictures are high-quality or anything, and the paper looks grainy and recycled, but they're cheaper than a Hallmark card in the store, with personalized photos and messages.

4. No matter how often I type it, the word "from" always ends up "form" and I have to go back and correct it.  "Morning" is also often "Monring" according to my fingers.

5.  When you plan a "Family Trip" you think it will be so nice to get out of your little southern Mississippi town.  However, when you bring the house full of kids with you, it's not nearly as great as it sounded before you left.  It's definitely NOT a vacation, anyway.

6.  Eventually, five months of constant baby sign language will pay off and at least one of the babies will suddenly start signing and talking back to you! Yay for 18 month Other Baby finally signing and trying to say: "More," "All Done," "Nite Nite," "Yes," and learn the "ABC's" (A-G anyway...).  However, noticing Other Baby signing seems to make our 13 month old Jonah stubbornly refuse to do so.  He used to do "More" and "All Done" and he has suddenly started whining like a little pig instead for all wants. It's almost like he's thinking, "I canNOT believe you taught that other kid our Secret Code, Mom!" He'll get over it and start signing again, eventually...I hope.

7. My helpful mother reminded me of this one: Sometimes God calls us to push immovable rocks for a while.  We may keep asking God, "Why are you making me push this big rock when it hasn't moved an inch?"  He answers, "Look how strong your body has become from pushing against this rock! Look how much patience you have developed.  I see how strong your prayers have become from the times you cried out and asked me to help you push that rock!" We sure do feel like we've been pushing some boulders lately!

8.  "If God doesn't rule your mundane, then He doesn't rule you, because that's where you live." This quote from Paul Tripp in this great article by Gloria Furman really helped to change my perspective on all the "Mundane" things in life right now.  From constant laundry and dishes and cleaning, to struggling to reach two teenagers who don't really want to let us in, I needed to read and re-read and ponder this article several times to let it sink in and ask God to transform me.  I am still very much in process of trying to become more grateful, compassionate, and loving through every task, but it's a real mindset/soul altering change that takes a while to finish.  Another blog I read said that changing diapers is the modern day equivalent of washing feet.  I'd rather wash feet though. Ah, this pursuit of holiness!

9. Exercise is not only good for your body - but so very good for your mind as well! I really learned why exercise is so positively addicting and great for your mind and body in this neatO article!

10.  Becoming a mother has made me appreciate my body more, and care less about make up.  I love the way my one year old generously gives cuddles and kisses only first thing in the morning, when we both have bad breath, and I have done absolutely nothing to my hair or face. I'm mommy, and that's enough for him.

11. Speaking of bad breath - apparently all cute baby smells DISAPPEAR when said child is around age one.  Jonah smells like a wet puppy if he's outside for more than 5.7891 seconds.  He has bad breath in the morning.  Long gone are the mild breast-milk diapers, and in their place we have the most disgusting solids and teething loose stool combination diapers ever.  Oh for the sweet baby smells again...

12. I am happiest in my marriage when my husband and I are actively, regularly, praying together.
http://www.southernmadephotography.com/

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the Space and Rocket Center! Can't believe you waited so long to visit. =) We live in Birmingham, and I can't wait until my son is old enough to appreciate the museum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pleasantly surprised by the exhibits! I really liked being able to see and touch the space suits (I hope you can touch them, they weren't in any sort of enclosure, and there were no signs...).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number 8 shot straight through my heart! What a great article for us mamas with little ones! I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts! Your son is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I'm kind of partial to him myself. :) I have gone back and reread that article several times! I'm glad it spoke to you, too.

    ReplyDelete